Monday, June 6, 2011

Plant a tree

I thought it might be nice to have a kind of tree for Liam to play with and to help teach him about the seasons, so i made him a tree.


I used heavy gauge wire and formed it into a skeleton and them rapped it in batting and tided it together with button hole thread.

Its about 3 feet tall, nice and flexible. So then begins the week long sawing project of hand sewing the "bark" on. I found a piece of heavy material that i think looks like bark. I cut strips of fabric, sewing and cutting them to fit as I went.
And Finally the finished tree.


I toped it off with small flowers I made with some craps I had and a birds nest with a crochet egg. I used gray wool felt and a tutorial from Rhythms of the home (thank you).

I plan to make different things with Liam to hang from the tree with the seasons and holidays, like red and yellow leafs out of felt in the fall and our family yule decorations in the winter (we don`t have the space or want for a traditional tree). I hope it will be a greatly anticipated tradition to change the tree and welcome the new seasons!




No comments:

Post a Comment