Saturday, June 11, 2011

Preserved Lemons

I was flipping though Jamie Oliver magazine last month and came across a interesting recipe for preserving lemons. I buy organic lemons because I like to use the zest and the amount of chemicals that normal ones are sprayed with is not something I like putting in my body. Most of the time they are sold in bags of 6 and they sometimes end up sitting in the fridge going bad so the thought of saving them in brine sparked my interest.

What you will need:
4-6 Lemons, un-waxed, preferably organic
8-12 tbsp Sea salt, not table salt
Lemon juice

Wash lemons well. Cut four slices from one end to the other of the lemon being careful not to cut all the way through. You want to make a space for the salt but you want it to all stay in one piece. Pack the lemon slices with the salt, making sure to get at least 2 tbsp into each lemon. Pack the salted lemons into a sterilized jar, making sure to pack them in there tight so the juice starts to run out of them.

Let sit in a warm place for 2 day at which time fill the rest of the jar with lemon juice and store in the frigid for a month. Its a good idea to flip the jar over every day or so to make sure it all stays mixed up. You mostly want to eat the rind as the flesh with me mushy so just scrap the soft part out when you go to use it.
*Note: it is important that the lemons stay under the liquid. You can scrunch up a piece of parchment paper and stick it in the top of the jar to help keep the lemons submerged.


I hope you enjoy them. I used mine in a rub for a roast chicken and it turned out wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment